In this Director of Interior Design role, you will lead the Firm’s Interior Design Department while assisting in the development of marketing strategies to obtain new and maintain existing clients. You will work directly with Principals, Architects and other team members to develop design concepts for projects in a variety of markets including workplace, healthcare, industrial and housing.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee the Interior Design Department and management of the interior design staff.
- Collaborate with Firm Principals to develop interior design goals and objectives for Firm.
- Work directly with the Marketing Department to assist in the development and implementation of marketing strategies for a variety of project types.
- Oversee and develop interior design concepts, color/finish selections and furniture selections for commercial projects.
- Advance interior design concepts to ensure the Firm is competitive in the interior design market.
- Supervise and mentor a qualified team of interior designers by creating a learning and growing environment.
- Ensure timely and effective management and delivery of concepts to meet project goals, objectives.
- Lead the creative design direction during the conceptual and schematic design phases of projects.
- Independently develop new and unique approaches to the development of design solutions.
- Development budgets and execute fee proposals for future work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interior Design from a CIDA accredited program with at least 15 years of commercial interior design experience including ten years of experience with furniture applications is required.
- Must have NCIDQ and/or CID certification.
- At least five years of experience leading or supervising interior designers in an architectural work setting.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Revit and Sketch-up, with an emphasis on 3D presentation.
- Have a solid understanding and application of interior design principles, practices and concepts.
- Ability to design creative and effective design solutions.
Mohagen Hansen Architecture | Interiors was founded in 1989. Since that time, the firm has evolved into a full-service architecture and interior design firm, today maintaining a staff of 42 full-time professionals. Our services include a full spectrum of programming, planning, design and interior design services to corporate, government, healthcare, dental, financial and industrial clients.
In addition, our firm offers competitive salary and benefits, a great team working environment and learning opportunities to develop your knowledge, skills and abilities.
Job Title: Housing Market Sector Leader
Date: August 2020
Reports to: Firm Principals
If you are looking for a leadership role in a dynamic, flexible work environment that celebrates an entrepreneurial spirit, then look no further! Make an immediate impact in the growing Housing Design Studio at Mohagen Hansen Architecture | Interiors. Having recently completed the award-winning Nolan Mains Mixed Use Development project in Edina, Minnesota the position offers a strong portfolio and great marketing opportunities for the right candidate. We have a great work environment where our team of 40+ employees thrive collaboratively. Our office is focused on housing, healthcare, corporate and commercial projects. We are located in the western metro in Wayzata.
The Housing Market Sector Leader will work closely with the Firm Principals and Marketing to help direct and coordinate Housing Business Development efforts by cultivating potential business prospects and leading the management of client relationships, while also providing project management responsibilities. Project management encompasses planning, scheduling, fee development and tracking, and project start-up, while also managing and assisting with the production and development of creative design concepts.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides input on overall objectives and long-range goals of the Firm.
- Works with Marketing to develop and implement promotional programs and plans to cultivate and develop potential business prospects.
- Oversees the architectural planning and design process on a variety of projects, including writing fee proposals, negotiating contracts with clients and consultants as well as developing and controlling design schedules and budgets to ensure profitability.
- Collaborates on client’s behalf with developers, consultants, city officials, and other professionals to advance the design concepts and gain appropriate city approvals when needed.
- Identifies potential project risks and develops/implements strategies to minimize impact and control deviations from estimated costs and project deadlines.
- Primary contact for related clients and responsible for building effective, long-term client relationships.
- Mentors associates and gives work direction to staff members. Provides input on employee performance and makes recommendations on promotions, based performance, knowledge, and skill set.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor of Architecture degree with at least eight years of progressive architecture and design experience. Master of Architecture preferred.
- Licensed Architect required.
- At least five years of experience managing projects within the architecture industry or working in a higher-level Architect role including coaching, mentoring and/or supervising others.
- Demonstrated competency with Affordable Housing, HUD, MFHA, Historical and Senior Care.
- At least three years of experience developing sales and market strategies to attract new clients in the commercial architectural industry.
- Emphasis on being extremely client-focused to build effective and long-lasting relationships.
- Advanced team leadership, team building, and facilitation skills and experience required.
- Comprehensive understanding and application of architecture principles, practices, and concepts.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit documentation, production and coordination, and other graphic digital tools such as Sketch-up, Lumion, Blue Beam, etc.
- Ability to plan and design creative and effective design solutions in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent leadership, delegation, and organizational skills.
- Strong project management skills including fee development and allocation.
- Ability to work in a flexible, fast-paced environment.
- Able to manage multiple projects at one time.
- Willingness to take on challenging projects.
- Has strong planning skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changes in the work requests or environment.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and is a self-starter.
- Ability to communicate information clearly and effectively.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships.
The following physical demands must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk or hear; uses hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls.
- On occasion, the employee may be required to stoop, bend or reach above shoulders.
- On occasion, lift, push, or pull up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position works primarily in an office-based environment with the ability to work remotely in accordance with the company’s remote work policy.
- The position may require work-related travel to pursue and execute projects.
Our employees benefit from a collaborative environment that allows for rich development. We have a diverse and inclusive staff of passionate architects and interior designers. Together, we achieve incredible things. All Mohagen Hansen employees are compensated with a generous benefits package that includes:
- Competitive salary
- Collaborative environment
- Paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave
- Health and dental insurance
- 401K plan
- Education reimbursement
- and much more